Welcome to 5th Grade!
Dear 5th grader,
Hello! Welcome to the 2014-2015 year in 5th grade! I am so excited to be your teacher this year and I am thrilled to meet you and your family! I have been busy preparing our classroom for when you arrive!
This is my first year teaching at St. Joseph’s, but my third year teaching 5th grade. I spent 2 years teaching 5th-8th grade math and science at SS Peter and Paul and after that I taught 1st grade there for three years. I spent the last few years at home with my children. I am so excited to be back in the classroom again and seeing some familiar, and some new faces!
I hope you have had an enjoyable summer! My favorite thing about this summer was just spending time with my husband, our two children, and my two cats! We had a lot of fun enjoying the outdoors and we even went on a few day trips. I can’t wait to hear all about your summer vacation when we meet! I look forward to having you in my class!
Parents ~ I want to work as a team to assure that your child will have a successful school year. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail ANY time! I am looking forward to working with you and your child this year!
* September 3rd- School Starts!!!
What Makes 5th Grade Fabulous at St. Joseph School??
- 5th grade has religion classes daily and we join all grades as we attend First Friday Masses at area churches.
- 5th graders lead prayer services and we have morning prayers with grades 3 & 4 once a week.
- We take pride in student centered learning and smaller class sizes allow us to individualize instruction based on student needs.
- I provide many opportunities to integrate different subject areas to make learning fun and exciting for students!
- Learning all about New York State and local history provides many opportunities to read stories, visit local museums and learn about famous people that lived here in Cayuga County!
- 5th graders participate in service projects such as Holiday Mail for Heroes,and donating to our food pantry.
Any questions, please contact me at
Fifth Grade Supply List
1 subject spiral notebooks with different colored covers (red, blue, green, yellow, purple, orange and black for subjects: ELA, Science, Math, Social Studies, Religion, Spanish and Music)
Folders to match the notebooks: red, blue, green, yellow, purple, orange, black) and 1 additional folder of any color/pattern
1 marbled composition notebook
1 assignment notebook (with dates helps with organization)
1-2 highlighters (any colors)
1 box of crayons
1 pkg of colored pencils
1 pencil sharpener (for colored pencils)
#2 pencils (several)
erasable black or blue pens
1 paperback English dictionary (preferably Webster’s and make sure the print size is readable)
ruler (inches and centimeters)
2-3 glue sticks
3 boxes of Kleenex
1-2 packages of baby wipes
** We will label all notebooks and folders on the first day of school.
Please label all other supplies (ruler, scissors, glue sticks, gym uniform, etc..)
** Because students use small lockers, no rolling backpacks or large trapper keepers please!
A few good websites for you to look at with your child/children:
www.spellingcity.com (Great practice for spelling words)
weatherwizkids.com (great info on weather and storms)
congressforkids.net (great stuff on the Constitution and government)
www.macmillanmh.com (Student section has great review pages and fun games to emphasize concepts we are learning in class)